Defining Home: Conversations about housing, living and community
June 26, 2014
1:00 PM to 3:00 PM
Lynn Englund, PhD.
Instructor, Department of Family Social Science
University of Minnesota
Lenox Community Center
6715 Minnetonka Blvd.
St. Louis Park, MN 55426
(between Georgia and Hampshire Ave. S.)
Join us for this informative and engaging forum on the intersection of housing and community. Lynn Englund, PhD, will provide framing for the discussion, followed by opportunities for you to tell your stories and listen to others.
As we age, many of us find ourselves re-examining our living situations. Do I want to downsize? Move to another part of the country or world? Own or rent? Continue to live alone? Try a shared living arrangement? Lynn will help us examine our options with a focus on how we might live out our beliefs, values and ideals.
After the forum, join us for a tour of the Monterey Cohousing Community, a unique collaborative community located on 2.5 acres of land, partly wooded, just east of the forum location.
Lynn Englund, PhD, is an instructor with the Department of Family Social Science at the University of Minnesota.
Further resources and opportunities suggested by VAN Forum participants
- Communities Directory: Online search for communities and housing by type, location, values, etc.
- Fellowship for Intentional Community: Communities Magazine, books and resources, events, links.
- Golden Girl Homes: Shared housing for women.
- Generations of Hope: Retirees partner with adoptive families to develop and sustain Hope Meadows, IL as an intergenerational neighborhood that changes the lives of retirees, foster children, and families.
- Lives Worth Living: Questions of Self, Vocation, and Community (Philosophy Camp): A three-°©‐week (formerly 4-˙©‐week) residential philosophy course at the university of Minnesota.
- Minnesota/Western Wisconsin CoHousing Meetup Group: Exploring cohousing and cooperative housing alternatives in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
- Seeking immediate development of land near Elk River, MN, for cohousing that respects the land and uses geothermal and solar. 8600 NE Odean Ave, Otsego, MN 55330 (Wright Co. PID 118500211300). Contact Chris Wilson (chrisw [at] chriswilsonstudios.com).