Unwrapping the Present
November 14, 2018
1:30 PM to 3:00 PM
Older Adults Program Coordinator and Community Educator at NAMI Minnesota (the National Alliance on Mental Illness of Minnesota)
Highlights from Kay's Presentation
Key strategies for combatting holiday blues:
- Volunteer. It's a great way to forget your own troubles and it will add more meaning to your holiday season.
- Avoid isolation. If family cannot join you, invite friends.
- Don't overspend. Set a budget for gifts and entertaining.
- Avoid alcohol. It's a depressant and can intensity sadness.
- Keep to your regular routines. Follow normal bedtime, food and exercise regimens.
- Talk to someone you trust. Share your feelings or problems.
- Let go of the past. Holidays often aren't like they used to be, so start new tradtions and memories.