Aging with Gusto
“I never thought about everyday comments that are really ageist. I get together with former classmates twice and year and we are going to have a different discussion now!”
Aging with Gusto participant
Upcoming Aging with Gusto Session in Minneapolis
Thursday, March 23
10:00 AM to 2:30 PM
East Side Neighborhood Services
1700 Second St NE, Minneapolis 55413 (map)
Join us for this engaging day of introspection, discussion and connection led by the Vital Aging Network and sponsored by East Side Neighborhood Services.
Aging with Gusto: A New Perspective on Aging
Aging. Whether we’re 6, 60 or 106, it’s happening to all of us... if we’re lucky. That’s not going to change. But what can change is how we view aging and how we treat one another and ourselves as we age.
It’s no secret: our society favors youth and shies away from aging. Prejudice against people as they age comes with a twist: It is discrimination against our future selves.
Positive Views Matter
Aging with Gusto works to ignite a more positive view of aging. And there’s never been a better time. More and more people are living to 100—and they’re doing so with more “gusto” than ever.
How we think about our own aging and how we treat others as they age takes on added significance as America and the world age at an unprecedented rate.
Goals for the Discussions
We hope the Aging with Gusto discussions will:
- Encourage more positive views of aging.
- Heighten appreciation for the capacity of people of all ages to contribute in their families and communities.
- Increase awareness of ideas, behaviors and practices that are based on misconceptions and biases about older people.
- Develop ideas for how to “age with gusto.”
Ideas for how to "Age with Gusto"
One Aging with Gusto discussion group completed the series of three discussions and generated an outstanding list of steps that we can take in our own lives, in our families, in our communities and in society to "age with gusto." See the list here. Download the list as pdf.
The Aging with Gusto effort is a joint project of the Vital Aging Network and Saint Paul - Ramsey County Public Health.The Metropolitan Area Agency on Aging are sponsors in the project.
For additional information, call 651-917-4652 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This section includes the following pages:
- Resources - Resources for learning more about Aging with Gusto.
- Worksheets and Materials - Worksheets for Aging with Gusto discussions.
- Design Team - Aging with Gusto Design Team.
- Tell Your Story - Use the link on this page to share the outcomes of your Aging with Gusto discussions.