Aging with Gusto
“I never thought about everyday comments that are really ageist. I get together with former classmates twice and year and we are going to have a different discussion now!”
Aging with Gusto participant
Upcoming Aging with Gusto Session in Minneapolis
Thursday, March 23
10:00 AM to 2:30 PM
East Side Neighborhood Services
1700 Second St NE, Minneapolis 55413 (map)
Join us for this engaging day of introspection, discussion and connection led by the Vital Aging Network and sponsored by East Side Neighborhood Services.
CEU Workshop for Social Workers, Nurses, Other Professionals
Professionals who work with older adults and their families have a significant impact on people’s views about aging. Have you deeply examined your own views?
This Aging with Gusto CEU workshop offered by the Vital Aging Network is designed for social workers, health professionals, housing staff and others. More about Aging with Gusto. Learning Outcomes for the Workshop
- Surface their personal beliefs and feelings about aging and examine what has influenced their views.
- Learn about the detrimental effects of ageism and ways to change misconceptions, biases and prejudices about aging.
- Develop strategies for incorporating positive perceptions of aging into your professional work and create a personal action plan for doing so.
The Vital Aging Network is a CE Provider authorized by the Minnesota Board on Social Work. Certificates of completion for 6 CEUs will be provided.
Tuesday, May 23, 2017
9:00 am to 4:00 pm
White Bear Area Senior Program
2484 East County Road F
White, Bear Lake, MN 55110
Cost includes a hot lunch!
$85 - Early registration through April 21, 2017
$99 - After April 21
Registration closes May 19
Facilitators for the May 23 session:
Sally Brown, MEd, MA
Sally retired from the Amherst H. Wilder Foundation after 30 years in various roles. Sally is an experience program designer, facilitator and advocate, with a focus on youth and aging. She is a member of the Vital Aging Network’s Aging with Gusto Task Force and the convenor of the Gray Panthers Twin Cities. She has a MA and MEd from Columbia University.
Tara Jebens-Singh, MA
Tara is the Adult Programs coordinator and director of the White Bear Area Senior Program. Tara has a Master Degree in Public Policy Analysis from the Humphrey School. She is also a certified personal trainer.
Aging with Gusto: A New Perspective on Aging
Aging. Whether we’re 6, 60 or 106, it’s happening to all of us... if we’re lucky. That’s not going to change. But what can change is how we view aging and how we treat one another and ourselves as we age.
It’s no secret: our society favors youth and shies away from aging. Prejudice against people as they age comes with a twist: It is discrimination against our future selves.
Positive Views Matter
Aging with Gusto works to ignite a more positive view of aging. And there’s never been a better time. More and more people are living to 100—and they’re doing so with more “gusto” than ever.
How we think about our own aging and how we treat others as they age takes on added significance as America and the world age at an unprecedented rate.
Goals for the Discussions
We hope the Aging with Gusto discussions will:
- Encourage more positive views of aging.
- Heighten appreciation for the capacity of people of all ages to contribute in their families and communities.
- Increase awareness of ideas, behaviors and practices that are based on misconceptions and biases about older people.
- Develop ideas for how to “age with gusto.”
Ideas for how to "Age with Gusto"
One Aging with Gusto discussion group completed the series of three discussions and generated an outstanding list of steps that we can take in our own lives, in our families, in our communities and in society to "age with gusto." See the list here. Download the list as pdf.
The Aging with Gusto effort is a joint project of the Vital Aging Network and Saint Paul - Ramsey County Public Health.The Metropolitan Area Agency on Aging are sponsors in the project.
For additional information, call 651-917-4652 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This section includes the following pages:
- Resources - Resources for learning more about Aging with Gusto.
- Worksheets and Materials - Worksheets for Aging with Gusto discussions.
- Design Team - Aging with Gusto Design Team.
- Tell Your Story - Use the link on this page to share the outcomes of your Aging with Gusto discussions.