How to Create a Higher-Impact Volunteer Experience
- Explore your passions and determine what you want before you move
- Look for opportunities to increase the level and impact of what you are doing where you currently volunteer.
- Develop a project idea and propose it to an organization. Research the organization to be sure your idea fits with the organization’s strategic goals.
- Plan a presentation of the project that shows its impact on mission.
- Present your skills to lead the project.
- If the project involves costs, bring ideas about how you can help raise the funds.
- Be ready to adapt your ideas.
- Don’t be discouraged if the organization does not immediately say yes. Strategize about how to help staff better understand or seek another organization that might be a better fit.